View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyril0321
Cyril0321
Council Member

Awarded:

re: [Guide] Pet Tricks

Lol hey I was thinking of making a pet tutorial video but it seems some people have already done a good job at creating some. So I may just add to what they already have! xD

Being good at controling pets really improves your gameplay in game. You'll be able to set up attacks, and avoid getting hit. I would recommend you look at these two tutorials below! xD

http://www.mabiguru.com/forums/guide-submission-hall/16702-third-hand-using-pets-battle.html (has 3 videos)

ATK's tutorial (first one) is a very friendly beginner guide to get you started.

Syrphid's tutorial is more advanced in that it covers a lot more detail. Kind of like the pet guide I wanted to do haha! Syrphid pretty much sums up most of what I have to say about pets. He judges his targets with pets very similarly to me. I notice from his screen samples in Maiz and Ciar adv that we typically think and react the same way.

---
What I'd like to add to these tutorials though are:

Regarding the controls for pets. I don't like ATK's controls on pets because setting your hotkey for pets at 1 ~ 0 makes it problematic for you to summon pets number 6 ~ 0. Those numbers in your keyboard are already pretty far from where your left hand usually is and so that risks you not being able to summon your pets fast enough (especially if you have a small left hand like me haha!)

So my controls for pets are:

Summon pets 1 ~ 5 = Ctrl+1 ~ Ctrl+5
Summon pets 6 ~ 10 = Shift+1 ~ Shift+5

And...

Mount = D
Call pet = R
Pet sit = ctrl+Z

*These controls are optional though. You can pick whatever you're comfortable with, but these are just the ones that I find comfortable!

For Syphrid I noticed his pets kept dying a lot. That's a big problem because your pets lose experience, you may run out of feathers, you may not have alive pets to summon in the next encounter, and your pets will all be on deadly if you keep reviving them (pet's are nice if they have some HP to take damage!). So just one thing Syphrid can improve on is to know when to unsummon his pets on time to avoid being killed. Your pets do not have to die a lot. You can unsummon them before an aggressor tries to hurt them (and quickly summon another to continue helping you)! My pets for example, rarely die and I'm still efficient with them because I use them like Syphrid but I unsummon them from harm on time! Happy

ATK's advise on pet AI is good and Syphrid did not follow this I noticed. His pets did not have any AI that told his pets to counter after a normal attack. That kind of AI is important so that your pet can still handle itself if incase you are not able to control your pet (like you die or get distracted). It also trains you to use the "Call pet" command effectively (if your pet uses counter everytime it ends its normal attack you'd have to use call pet frequently to cancel your pet's counter skill). I think this may be why Syphrid's pets kept dying. It was because after Syphrid commanded his pets, his pets just stayed far from him and next to the enemy that's on aggro on the pet thus he isn't able to protect his pet effectively. It is important that your pet is near you most of the time so that your pet can help you, and you can help your pet. I think that's what needs to be stressed - pets are used to help players, but it's really important that players help pets too by unsummoning them on the right time and attacking the monsters that aggro pets, and to keep pets from dying. Ultimately if you attack the monsters that aggro your pet and your pet attacks the monsters that aggro you, no one gets hurt! You can fight with ZERO casualties! xD

Last edited by Cyril0321 on 2010/12/14 7:37; edited 6 times in total

=O Good idea for the Pet summoning~
I've been using 1-9 for my pet summoning xD But I never thought bout shift+

Thanxies~

Buns of Steel

I always get criticized for my pet control, but its bad when I summon a pet to help me it can sometimes cause a lagspike that kills me at the crucial moment. :/ Lag strikes again! Most of my combat fails result from lag disabling me from doing anything properly. I do agree with this advice for nonlaggers though. I use pets alot like how you said including unsummoning before they die when I dungeon. Another good method I use em for is say there's a room with tons of aggro, well you send your pet out to attack the mob in the middle of the room, so it catches all the aggro then unsummon before it dies so aggro drops. (such a runon sentence there XD) This has kept me alive lots of times just by keeping the aggro off me long enough to reduce the enemy number. Pets are also useful for enemies that take multiple thunders to kill. Send pet after enemy AFTER it gets thundered first time. And the last smart thing I've used pets for is just simply knocking back enemies into the position I want for sacrifice SMs or G11 Golden Apple boss.

One more thing I'll throw out is that when spam smacking a tree or sign or w/e for drops, summon a noncombat ready pet like a sheep to help you smack it. Stuff will drop alot more often which you can pick up, and you won't be using their stamina for combat anyways so really no downside.
DJSulfrus
The Last Giant Descendant

I actually set up my pet summon stuff a bit weirdly. Although I do that because I found that 1 - 9 will let you use extra hotkeys like the ones set up in f1 through f12. Although these hotkeys are set up as the 1st 9 skills of your skill window, you can change the skill window without opening them up with
ctrl + 1-7. as follows
1:All skills
2:Life
3:Combat
4:Magic
5:Alchemy
6:Transformation (but since most of the skills are passive i just have Full Swing F10 and trans F12)
7:Demigod(rarely used)

Wondering how I have my pet hotkeys set up?
Pet 1: y
Pet 2: u
Pet 3: ;
Pet 4: .
Pet 5: ,
Pet 6: Shift+X
Pet 7: Shift+C
Pet 8: Shift+D
Pet 9: Shift+S
Pet 10: Shift+A
Inventory: Shift+I
Call: Shift+O
Sit: Shift+B

Sounds difficult but it helps me stay alive. At least if its not PVP...
Emissary256

My pet hotkeys are....

Pets: alt + 1-0
Call pet: C (character window is set to Ctrl + C)
Pet sit: Z
Pet Inventory: Ctrl + X

It's a good idea to keep your hotkeys within a close proximity to universally-important buttons like Ctrl, Shift, etc. (the left side of the keyboard) so the amount of hand movement is put at a comfortable minimum. Keeping this distance low also lowers the chances of making mistakes.

Also, using F1-F12 AND the number keys (like how Boulder does) for skill hotkeys adds a bunch of hotkeys overall and creates a double layer of hotkeys on the left side of the keyboard.
Healing Gibby
The First Aid Boxy

SulfrustheHedgehog wrote:

Wondering how I have my pet hotkeys set up?
Pet 1: y
Pet 2: u
Pet 3: ;
Pet 4: .
Pet 5: ,
Pet 6: Shift+X
Pet 7: Shift+C
Pet 8: Shift+D
Pet 9: Shift+S
Pet 10: Shift+A
Inventory: Shift+I
Call: Shift+O
Sit: Shift+B

Sounds difficult but it helps me stay alive. At least if its not PVP...

IT'S SO RANDOM. How do you live D;

Pet summons
ctrl1~9
sit-o
return!-] or \ depending on the computer. My desktop Mabi apparently refuses to recognize some keys as usable ._.;
drink mana pot - [none]

Falmosta
Falmosta
Legacy Member

Awarded:

All my pets controls are right handed. Since I spend more time loading magic/alchemy I have all my pets on a number-pad. I have a full keyboard on my laptop.

Pet summon 1-9,0
Sit: +
Cal: -
Pet: shop find: *
pet Inv /
Un summon is Num . (del)
Pet listing INS

My ins, home, pg up; del end pgdn; keys are right above my num pad. Meanwhile I have a touch pad I can use like a mouse with my left hand if I really need to.

The problem about my pets is that I forget to feed them regularly and they aren't that high of a level.

Photobucket
LuffyDD
The Complicated

WOAH WOAH O_O
My pet controls are the complete opposite of yours Cyril

Mbun
Mbun
Buns of Steel

I set my pet sit key to INS. One internet to anyone who can guess why.
Cyril0321
Cyril0321
Council Member

Awarded:

LuffyDD wrote:
WOAH WOAH O_O
My pet controls are the complete opposite of yours Cyril

Complete opposite? O_O

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: