View previous topic :: View next topic  
A.Walker
Legacy Member

re: Mabinogi Chat: Generations

Hello everyone, I would like to start a series of forum posts called Mabinogi Chat, threads that discuss any aspect of the game that I think would be interesting and deep topics. With all that said, I would like to remind all of you the guild rules:

1) Respect, be honest, and charitable to fellow members of the guild. 

2) Avoid conflicts with other members of the guild. 

So for our first chat, I would like to talk about the generations and I would like to talk about the quality as well as rate of each individual chapter. For those who don't know, the storyline is divided as such:

Chapter 1: G1-3

Chapter 2: G4-8

Chapter 3: G9-12

Chapter 4: G13-16

Chapter 5: G17-18 (Saga 1 and 2)

Chapter 6: G19-???

Chapter 1: 9/10

The generation that started it all did a great job setting up the lore of this world, good characters, good pacing, dungeons and bosses were unique and imaginative. Does not get a perfect 10/10 due to the fact I do not like all the role playing missions, a few of the sections feel padded and unneeded such as ideals, and the strange inclusion of elves and giants getting their transformation from G2 rather than their own story.

Chapter 2: 7/10

This chapter is a little weird because G4-6 pertains to the story behind elves and giants which were removed so I'm actually just talking about G7 and 8. They gave us some backstory on Iria but overall, the G7-8 just feel underwhelming, they did not do anything particularly bad, but not anything good either, except for one thing: the G8 boss. I love the G8 boss battle and added 1 to the score because of it, the move set it has, the area, the maneuvering and especially the music.

Chapter 3: 7/10

G9 gets the bulk of my complaints due to the fact it feels extremely padded and feels more like an alchemy tutorial than a storyline. G10-12 were ok, had some nice set pieces and battles but still had that problem of unneeded padding such as the honey quest and rp missions such as the one with Voight. The story was...ok

Chapter 4: 6/10

Now this is where things get weird. The backstory of the milliteans and their relationship with Morrighan was interesting as well as Morrighan's shift to villian were interesting since it was foreshadowed in G11. All that stuff with Shakespeare was....very strange and ultimately feels like a waste of time to me. I'm talking purely about the retelling of Shakespeare's plays, if the director wanted to incorporate Shakespeare into Mabinogi, he should have just made it entirely about the plays and not awkwardly force them into the plot. G16 gets special mention for actual feeling like a Mabinogi story and was well executed....until it reached its conclusion where it fell apart.  

Chapter 5: 4/10

Now we to the bottom of the barrel. The Saga felt way too long and I could talk about all the little things that bother me but almost all of G18's faults can pretty much be placed on one thing: Millia. Millia is hands down the worst character in the game, always complaining, demanding, never grateful, and never apologizes for her behavior. The final boss was terrible, no imagination and my pet can literally solo it.

Saga 1 had Millia, but it also had other characters and a story that made it at least somewhat redeeming. Saga 2 on the other hand was terrible from beginning to end. I talked about padding before, but Saga 2 felt like half the entire thing could have been edited out and not lose anything to the story. Horrible minigames, horrible characters, I didn't even care about the story.

Chapter 6: 9/10

Divine knights story was well executed. My only real problem with the plot is that no mention or hint that this order of knights ever existed so they just feel forced into the world. The characters were nice. The battles feel like they had drastic difficulty spikes where one mission feel easy and then you face a boss that has a high hp pool and has mechanics you've never seen before and kill you. I am cheating a little bit since this chapter has not finished yet as of this post so I may update this later on.

If I rate each generation individually:

G1: 9/10

G2: 8/10

G3: 9/10

G7: 6/10

G8: 8/10

G9: 6/10

G10: 8/10

G11: 7/10

G12: 7/10

G13, G14, G15: 5/10

G16: 8/10

G17: 5/10

G18: Saga 1- 5/10

Saga 2- 2/10

G19: 10/10

G20: 8/10

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Visions Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum