View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJSulfrus
The Last Giant Descendant

re: Intro Re-Vamp (Bouldergeist)

Because it was outdated and irrelevant. I am James (most call me Andrew) and I am a 15 year old soon to be high school sophmore who is friendly, funny (define "funny" as I may not fit that criteria for all of you), trying to be social (although I normally don't have something to talk about most of the time) and knowledgeable (at least my in rl friends say im smart...)

My activities of awesomeness: Video gaming: (who doesn't know?)Music: (listening, playing [although I still need practice], compose [I don't do that yet!]
Sleeping: (The most popular interweb fad! yay :D)
Chillin: (Laying back being lazy)
Dancing: (I need to learn the how-tos of this too :l)

I need to practice playing instruments more, go to a dancing school, work-out (so I can actually dance proper), and get into playing around with a DJ board, but being lazy is something that I normally embrace on a daily basis of summer breaks so, no complaints and we are both happy. C:

Story? I was standing in the back of an RTV while it wasn't moving, my legs were against the back of the vehicle while I was standing, the driver (I think was my bro) pushed the gas pedal while I was standing where I was, forcing a backflip and ended up doing a 270 (landed on my chest). It didn't hurt that bad but I was left behind for a few minutes as my bro and some others rode on ahead.

Anything else need say? Because I can't think of anything.

Last edited by DJSulfrus on 2010/07/03 1:40; edited 3 times in total
Cyril0321
Cyril0321
Council Member

Awarded:

ohh, do you play any instruments James?

Wooo! Go Kentucky!

Cyril0321 wrote:
ohh, do you play any instruments James?

I can only play basics on drums because I haven't had practice...and I'm trying to go for a DJ board, or something like it that lets me compose/remix/play different genres of techno music and J-Pop... if that makes sense! =X
DJSulfrus

SulfrustheHedgehog wrote:
I can only play basics on drums because I haven't had practice...and I'm trying to go for a DJ board, or something like it that lets me compose/remix/play different genres of techno music and J-Pop... if that makes sense! =X

This also means i have interest in music. Although i have nothing to start with! Any other questions you have I'll answer eventually
Cyril0321
Cyril0321
Council Member

Awarded:

Well, if you have a good ear and a creative mind, you won't need much to start with! Everything will be common sense! wink

Some important things about remixing music that you might know from just hearing already, is the knowledge of low, middle, and high sounding instruments. A good song has a balance. Well it depends on the genre of music but usually all good songs have instruments playing in the low, middle, and high scales.

You need a low instrument for the base like drums, bass guitar, double bass, or any low brass or bass instruments. Then high sounding instruments for the melody like vocals, flute, clarinet... and middle range instruments to harmonize your melody so it doesn't sound simple or empty. Depending on your choice of instruments, some instruments can play middle or the high range, like a clarinet for example can play high for the melody or support harmony in the middle range.

Anyway, basic knowledge of rhythm and music notation will also help you get started. To learn music, most of it is about practice though, it's like swimming! You can't learn how to swim by just reading about it, you have to actually swim! Like music, studying it all day will not help you much, you have to practice! In my opinion, at least 80% of music is learned through practice and experience.

Your first songs might sound really simple, but do not stop there, composing is also something you develop through experience. The more songs you make, the better you become at composing. And don't be afraid to make some noise! Experiment with some sound! It doesn't matter if you do not have any theory knowledge or know about chords, harmony, or melody. It all boils down to what sounds nice, what is good to the ear - this is what I realized after I took some theory classes, I already knew all of them, theory only allowed me to name the things I was already doing! xD

Anyway, good luck on playing, composing and remixing music James! If you end up making your first song, even if it’s just a doodle, you can let me hear it so I can help ok? :P

Keep practicing and playing! Happy

Cyril0321 wrote:
Well, if you have a good ear and a creative mind, you won't need much to start with! Everything will be common sense! wink

Some important things about remixing music that you might know from just hearing already, is the knowledge of low, middle, and high sounding instruments. A good song has a balance. Well it depends on the genre of music but usually all good songs have instruments playing in the low, middle, and high scales.

You need a low instrument for the base like drums, bass guitar, double bass, or any low brass or bass instruments. Then high sounding instruments for the melody like vocals, flute, clarinet... and middle range instruments to harmonize your melody so it doesn't sound simple or empty. Depending on your choice of instruments, some instruments can play middle or the high range, like a clarinet for example can play high for the melody or support harmony in the middle range.

Anyway, basic knowledge of rhythm and music notation will also help you get started. To learn music, most of it is about practice though, it's like swimming! You can't learn how to swim by just reading about it, you have to actually swim! Like music, studying it all day will not help you much, you have to practice! In my opinion, at least 80% of music is learned through practice and experience.

Your first songs might sound really simple, but do not stop there, composing is also something you develop through experience. The more songs you make, the better you become at composing. And don't be afraid to make some noise! Experiment with some sound! It doesn't matter if you do not have any theory knowledge or know about chords, harmony, or melody. It all boils down to what sounds nice, what is good to the ear - this is what I realized after I took some theory classes, I already knew all of them, theory only allowed me to name the things I was already doing! xD

Anyway, good luck on playing, composing and remixing music James! If you end up making your first song, even if it’s just a doodle, you can let me hear it so I can help ok? :P

Keep practicing and playing! Happy

One slight problem...I don't have anything I know of to start with as in instrument wise confused
Cyril0321
Cyril0321
Council Member

Awarded:

One slight problem...I don't have anything I know of to start with as in instrument wise confused

Lol well, you have a computer with speakers and access to internet right? Then you have everything you need for digital music editing!

These are some free programs you can use and have fun with!

1) Noteworthy Composer - http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/download.htm

Free music notation software. Good program to write and print simple music sheets, midi compatible, and lots of instruments available! Just download the evaluation version! It is basically the full program but you can only save 9 times! When that happens, I just copy paste the whole music I wrote to another save file to reset my number of saves though haha! xD

My first experience on music writing is on this program! I wrote my first composition using Noteworthy when I was in my first year of high school. Writing music in Noteworthy is so manual though, and I remember spending hours counting the number of notes in a bar. I failed at counting though My first song was 4/4 time and some bars had 5/4! xD

2) Audacity - http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I've never really spent a lot of time using Audacity, since I had other professional mixing programs already available to me at the time I decided to edit music. But Audacity is free, and I hear it's really useful to do simple music editing tasks!

3) Tons of free virtual instruments in the internet!

Do you want to hear how real instruments sound? There are many virtual instruments available in the internet! You don't need to buy the real instruments to hear how they sound nowadays. Most music we hear are digital now anyway. Very rarely do we hear live play music! xD

Some virtual instruments:

http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/resources_ftp/client_ftp/ks2/music/piano/index.htm --> Virtual piano and some other instruments!

http://virtualguitar.net/ --> Virtual guitar!

http://www.drumnuts.com/GAMES/Virtual-Drums.php --> Virtual Drums!

And lots more! Just Google search Virtual (ANY INSTRUMENT!)

4) Learn music theory for free! - http://www.musictheory.net/

When I wanted clarifications on some basic music theory, this was a nice website I referred to!

5) Other music tools!

http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/piano/ --> Hear all the different chords!

http://www.sound-recorder.biz/freesoundrecorder.html --> Free sound recorder! Just in case you want to use a music/sound you hear in your computer

6) Music community

My favourite website to go to when I'm looking for help or some tips about music is http://www.8notes.com/

They also have a good selection of music sheets you can practice on! xD

This is a song of whom's music i admire which is also what i sort of want to be like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuEseAjcDC0

And im currently in chorus which will help me learn sight reading or singing (can't quite remember) so i can compose better being able to know how some of the notes sound like
lampert
The Burrito Soup Lord Dictator

This is a song of whom's music i admire which is also what i sort of want to be like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuEseAjcDC0

And im currently in chorus which will help me learn sight reading or singing (can't quite remember) so i can compose better being able to know how some of the notes sound like

Im in choir and we do a lot of sightsinging.

*is still learning* 00
DJSulfrus

Intro re-vamped/re-done/re-modeled how ever you want to say. I did it because alot of things I saw on the old post seemed irrelevant to me as I can say my "personality was re-vamped" also.
Encore*
(。◕‿‿◕。)

Awarded:

just get the book "DJ'ing for Dummies" Happy

DJSulfrus

Encore* wrote:
just get the book "DJ'ing for Dummies" Happy

it doesn't quite work that way if you don't have a DJ board in the 1st place
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Visions Forum Index -> Member Introductions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: